Friday, February 15, 2013

New Old China Cabinet

China Cabinet Before by Heather Says
China Cabinet Before, a photo by Heather Says on Flickr.

My husband and I went out for dinner for Valentine's day. Afterwords, we checked out this giant Antique store. And by giant I mean, probably used to be a grocery store and is two stories now thanks to old high ceilings. It took hours to explore and we didn't even see everything.

Since moving into our new house in December, I have been on the lookout for a hot china cabinet. Our new kitchen is so much smaller and we're really hurting when it comes to cabinet space. So many of my beautiful dishes aren't even unpacked yet because I have nowhere to put them.

I scoured Facebook and Craigslist looking for a good deal. Everyone beat me to pretty items that were already refinished and dolled up or the cheap finds that needed some love. The antique store wasn't fruitful either. The ones I loved weren't as functional as I needed. The had flimsy shelves or front glass panels had been replaced with chicken wire. Shelves are easy to swap out, but I didn't want to pay $300 for an item that I would still end up putting time and money into. Either it was perfect as is for $300 or I had to find a cheap one and do all the work myself.

After dinner I saw a post on my local Facebook yard sale page and this beast was $50. I jumped on it and paid a little extra to have the nice people deliver it since this wouldn't ever fit in our Sonata.

She is rough. Two drawers broke when they were bringing it in the house, but they just came unglued at the dovetailing, so it'll be a quick fix with some wood glue and clamps. It might be hard to tell in this pic, but it's almost like the hutch and the buffet are different colors or even mix-matched. Although the scroll work on both pieces matches so maybe not. She is also covered in dust and dirt like she's been outside. It's okay. She's going to get lots of love and a pretty makeover. Just wait for what I have planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment