Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Frankenstein Crayon Hearts

Heart Crayons by Heather Says
Heart Crayons, a photo by Heather Says on Flickr.

While cleaning out my office, I came across some old broken crayons. Not a very large stash, but oh well. I think my mom still has an old coffee can somewhere with tons of broken crayons courtesy of us girls. My sisters and I are now in our 30s and 40s, so that can has some stories to tell. I'll let you know if I get my hands on it after my childhood home is done being renovated.

I also have a nifty little silicone ice cube tray from Ikea that I NEVER use. I sorted crayon pieces by like colors and popped the tray in a 150° F oven for 20 minutes. I was so excited to see the final result that I sped up the cooling time by tossing them in the freezer for 10 minutes.

They came out so neat looking! I don't have anything in mind for these guys just yet. I'm going to display them in my office in a pretty jar-- lovelier than a jar of broken crayons, that's for sure :)


3 comments:

  1. I need a way to follow you on these blogs :) let me see that cheron table. Amanda @ mommy is coocoo

    mommyiscoocoo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda! You can follow by email... there's a form in the right sidebar. Here's a link to my table http://heathersez.blogspot.com/2013/06/easy-chevron-table-diy.html

    Thanks for stopping by!

    xo,

    -H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - these are so cute and a great idea! I *think* you could have added little wicks to them after the crayons were melted and used them as votive candles. I might have to research whether you can use crayons in candles, but I LOVE the colors you made. They would be fun to just draw with too!!

    ReplyDelete