Sunday, December 1, 2013

Chanukkah Challah


Hello December! Today was an exciting day around our home! We have officially been in this house for one year now. I spent the day packing away Thanksgiving and unpacking Christmas. Most exciting of all, I made homemade challah for the first time ever. I've never even made bread before-- besides like banana breads etc but I mean real bread with yeast and everything.




It came out gorgeous and delicious! I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I have always been intimidated by bread and just yeast in general but finally gave it a try since it's Chanukkah and my husband and I love challah almost as much as we love each other.



The ingredients are basic, the steps are easy, and the most fun part was braiding the bread. I did a three-braid and five-braid loaf and was impressed with my design since it was my first time ever braiding raw dough. I have to admit that this was kind of an all day thing-- but totally worth it. I see lots of fresh-baked challah in our future! Happy Chanukkah everyone!




Follow me on bloglovin
Follow me on instagram
Follow me on pinterest
Follow me on facebook
Follow me on flickr
Follow me on google+

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, your bread looks beautiful! It seems a shame to eat it. My husband went through a bread baking phase, but wanted to use the healthiest, most coarsely ground grains he could find. Everything tasted like cardboard. Let's just say it was an interesting time in our marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! I really impress myself sometimes. Your bread journeys sound horrible and hilarious! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete